Evaluation of physical activity to improve the perception of hypoglycemia (FEEL-HIIT)
The IRCM clinic is looking for participants to participate in a research project aiming to restore hypoglycemia awareness with home-based high intensity interval training in adults with type 1 diabetes and impaired awareness of hypoglycemia.
This study involves 2 visits in personne or by phone and 18 visits by phone that can be undertaken over a period of about 16 weeks:
- A pre-inclusion visit by telephone to answer to a question about your perception of hypoglycemia symptoms. If we confirm that you have an impaired awareness of hypoglycemia, you can proceed to the next step of this study.
- A first visit takes place either at the IRCM or by telephone/videoconference to determine your eligibility. This visit lasts approximately 1.5 hours.
- A 4-week run-in period that aims to optimize your diabetes treatment. During this period, 30-minute telephone/videoconferencing visits will take place every week.
- You will be randomly assigned to one of the following two groups for the 12-week intervention period:
- Group 1: Standard educational program to prevent hypoglycemia. This program includes 2 sessions of 45 minutes each.
- Group 2: Standard educational program to prevent hypoglycemia combined with a high-intensity interval training program. The educational program includes 2 sessions of 45 minutes each. The training program will be carried out at your home 3 times a week.
During the intervention period, telephone/videoconference visits will take place every week for the first 4 weeks and then every 2 weeks thereafter. These visits last about 30 minutes each.
- An end-of-study visit takes place either at the IRCM or by telephone/videoconference in order to assess your perception of hypoglycemia symptoms. This visit lasts 45 minutes.
During the study period, you will continue to use your own continuous glucose monitoring system.
Expected benefits: you will benefit from the advices of a healthcare professional trained in diabetes and have access to a free training program if you are in group 2.
Financial compensation will be given for the first and last visit.
- Have type 1 diabetes for at least 3 years
- Be between 18 and 65 years old
- Use a continuous glucose monitor (or Flash glucose monitor)
- Have impaired awareness of hypoglycemia (will be evaluated with 1 question)
- Roxanne St-Amand, 514-987-5597 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org